Search
About

The Bulgarian ambassador is found eviscerated in his London quarters, and Major Sonja Slade of the Prussian Army searches for his killer while trying to forget her own ties to the dead man.

Contents
Kitty
Navigation

Forum > The Teaser Bit

Hiya! I realized it would be nice to have the preview teaser bit, the bit that was posted on KCK.ST on January 12th, saved somewhere on the actual Balance of Powers Site. And I sort of think our beloved puppeteers might not care to post that anywhere specific. Also I note the mention of the ship, and What Happened At Sea.

So, I'm just going to copy it here. You know, Just In Case.

There are two people sitting at the far table in the Cafe des Anglais, a man and a woman, both of them in their sixties, both dressed well but not obtrusively. Husband and wife? No, the body language is not quite right; they are neither at ease with each other nor obviously hostile. Brother and sister? Perhaps that, although he is fair-haired and pale and she is dark-haired and tan. Old friends, maybe, but they do not laugh. Colleagues.

"Do you know what they have?" he asks.

"The Prussians? Better question: do *they* know what they have?" she smiles, stirs her tea. Her voice is crisp, amused, cut-glass English.

"We're all looking for answers here. There's no need to pretend to be stupid." His accent is very faintly foreign, but hard to place. His face is perfectly impassive.

She meets his gaze, then drops her eyes. First hint of nerves. "It's evidence. Of whatever's going on out at sea and…"

"And?"

"And the last time it happened. And what happened afterwards," she speaks a little too quickly, as if glad to be rid of the words.

"Ahh. Yes, then we certainly do have to get it."

Her hand shakes a little, stirring her tea.

"Send Hausmann," he says at last, "he likes a little challenge."

August 16, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterScott Myers

oooo.... Thank you for that - that was something I don't remember seeing before.

August 17, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterKirstin

There are other teaser bits on Balance of Powers' Kickstarter as well. Anyone, subscriber or not, can read them there, so I think it's fair play to paste them here! (But nobody should start pasting subscriber content into the forums, because our storytellers have to make money somehow!)

Most ordinary decent citizens never come to Midway, that metal city on the waves. Why would they need to? It's the beating heart of the continent’s black markets, a den of exiles and scientists and spies; a place no government controls however much they try.

But everyone knows Midway exists, and where it is. Halfway between England and France, little more than a service station for the cross-channel railway when it was first conceived, it's now over two miles long and two miles wide. With all the new pillars that have been sunk into the sea to support it, with all the businesses and dwellings that cling like limpets to its outermost extremities, with all the powers that desire a foothold on Midway, you'd think it'd be wealthy. And it is, in a way.

But, like an oyster, it keeps its riches on the inside.

(con't from page 12)

And why exactly does the modern girl find Prince James so compelling a
figure? Is it the winning smile, his always-polished attire? Is it the
charmingly open demeanor inherited from his Texan mother, or his
perfect gentlemanly discretion? (No scandals from the White Palace on
his watch!)

Of course not -- no American girl could fall prey to such shallow
fancies. No, our dear prince is more than just that. Beneath his royal
exterior, James is a man driven by a desire to see his country remain
pure to its spirit, eschewing the populist follies of Europe and the
Southern continents. No future king has ever shown such fervent
dedication to our founding ideals. Though if we're very honest with
ourselves, it certainly helps that the cameras love him as much as we
do.
"We thank you, the provisional government of Bulgaria thanks you, and the brooding forces of darkness thank you too."
"...we’re grateful for your continued patience, which, to be honest, rivals that of the calmly calculating government of the Kingdom of Texas."
"For now, goodbye! Or, as they say in Constanta: помощ!" (Google Translate tells me this is Bulgarian for "Help!")

August 19, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterCollin